R I V A L A D E S I G N A R

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Tampoco te olvides de desloguearte

Paul Sturm wrote: Hi Dad,

An opportunity has come up that I can't pass up, even if you may not be
thrilled with it: I'm going to Egypt at the end of next week for one week.
I'm going over with Dan and we're meeting Katelin in Cairo. The plane ticket
was free with miles and the hotels are under $30 ($10 each per night) at
Sheratons. I'm using my tax refund to pay for the trip.

Like I said, we will be staying at Sheratons in both Cairo and Luxor (the
only two places we are going). We know how to be safe and will be extremely
vigilant. We will not go out wandering in strange neighborhoods or at night.
We are all keenly aware of the current situations in the Middle East/Africa.

I will send you a specific and detailed itinerary shortly. We will be gone
from 2/17 to 2/26. My cell phone should work over there according to
cingular.com. I was agonizing over telling you, but I didn't want this to
turn into what happened when I went to Iceland that one time and you
couldn't get a hold of me.

Thanks for understanding,
Paul

From: Barnett Sturm
To: Paul Sturm
Subject: Re: you may not like this
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:29:30 -0800 (PST)

I think it is really stupid for Americans to be traveling in a muslim country - especially a jewish american. There are people just waiting to harm or kidnap people like yourself. YOU NEED TO REALLY THINK ABOUT THIS. THERE IS NO SAFE PLACE IN EGYPT. THIS IS JUST STUPID OR WORSE

From: Barnett Sturm
To: Paul Sturm
Subject: Re: you may not like this
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:40:47 -0800 (PST)

How the hell are you going to be vigilant . The muslims know their own country better than you. You are easy to identify anfd they watch areas where westerners travel. They will be particularly nasty to you , being a jew. Do you want to have your throat slit. Are you going to protect yourself with armed guards and weapons? You need to use your brain. Whatever cost you put in can be recouped . I am asking you not to go. Dad


From: Barnett Sturm
To: Paul Sturm
Subject: Re: you may not like this
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:48:51 -0800 (PST)

You sound like a teenager when you say you can't pass it up the opportunity. The reason you can go so cheaply is that experienced travelers know not to go. There is no way you can protect yourself in Egypt. No one in that country is on your side. In fcat with your name and appearance you will be a constant target. Egypt is a violent country in the best of times. Now is among the worst . Do not throw your life away for a tourist experience.

From: Barnett Sturm
To: Paul Sturm
Subject: Re: you may not like this
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:52:45 -0800 (PST)

Do not go for my sake. We are leaving next week and traveling, going through high stress. The thought of you being there is too much. Please rethink this.


From: Barnett Sturm
To: Paul Sturm
Subject: Re: you may not like this
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 09:32:19 -0800 (PST)

The state department recommends against going to tourist areas and you surely can't wander around. Americans ahve been killed by bombs in tourist areas according to the state department.

3 Comments:

  • Carta de un gatito a otro. Típica paranoia grina. No saben que MH se los come crudo a esos muslims que nu han ganado nada.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:25 AM  

  • Papá Sturm tiene toda la razón, Sturm Jr. estaría mucho más seguro en las torres gemelas (bueno, ahí ya no) o en un tren en Madrod o en el metro de Londres o en un garito de Bali o en un autobús en Jerusalén o hasta dibujado en cualquier periódico europeo. A vecs los hijos deben escuchar alos padres. Lo digo yo, que mi papá me dijo que no hiciese es e curso de pilotaje en el que no me enseñaban a aterrizar.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:54 AM  

  • lo mas violento que me paso en egipto fue en el museo de antiguedades, donde yacen la momia blanca y la momia negra entre otros.
    Fue un puto yanqui que me empujo mientras yo leia unas inscripciones de una vitrina. Lo mire porque pense que habia sido un sinquererqueriendo como pasa bastante en ese museo lleno de gente. pero cuando cruzamos miradas me dijo que me corra, que estaba right in the middle.
    obviamente no me corri, le pregunte porque era tan violento y agregue que estaba completely crazy, pero me quede con las ganas de decirle que no tenia sentido que lo dejara ver la inscripcion porque seguramente el no sabia leer.
    como siempre las buenas respuestas aparecen 2 hs despues.

    By Blogger kuan, at 5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home